Vintage Ryan Fitzpatrick returned to Orchard Park just in time for the Buffalo Bills on Sunday.
With the New York Jets in position for the go-ahead points, Fitzpatrick threw a brutal interception. Just like old times, indeed. Then, he doubled down with another interception, allowing the Bills to put away a 22-17 victory that, coupled with Pittsburgh's win, knocked the Jets out of the playoffs.
First, Fitzpatrick was looking for Eric Decker in the end zone, but the receiver was never open and Bills cornerback Leodis McKelvin came away with the interception. The Jets had the ball at the Buffalo 14-yard line at the time, trailing 19-17, meaning a field goal would have put them in the lead.
Then, after getting the ball back, Fitzpatrick was intercepted by Bills linebacker Manny Lawson on a third-down play, after being hit by defensive tackle Marcell Dareus. That allowed the Bills to run three plays and force the Jets to burn their final two timeouts. They got the ball back with 44 seconds remaining at their 18-yard line, setting up Fitzpatrick's interception hat trick – which came when linebacker
Redeeming himself: Bills kicker Dan Carpenter bounced back from his missed extra point in the first half with a clutch 42-yard field goal following McKelvin's interception.
Deja vu: The final score was identical to Buffalo's first game against the Jets in Week 10.
- Third quarter: Sammy Watkins making himself comfortable on Revis Island
- Second quarter: EJ Manuel's hard count keeps a drive alive
- First quarter: Shanked punt sets up Bills' first touchdown
- Tyler Dunne's Points After: Bills 22, Jets 17
- Jerry Sullivan's hot read: Bills' inspired effort has to leave fans with a stab of regret
- Vic Carucci's hot read: If only the Bills could always play the Jets
- Bucky Gleason's hot read: Plenty of entertainment, often for all the wrong reasons
- Tim Graham's Insta-Graham: Bills finish .500 and 4-2 in AFC East; Sammy sensational; Fitz fails
- Mark Gaughan's hot read: Justice is served -- the Jets are not worthy of the playoffs
- Jay Skurski's Quarterly Report: Fitzpatrick's 'hat trick' sends Bills home winners