Someone was likely to win, even if a tie would have been the proper way to settle Sunday's grotesque game between the Buffalo Bills and Dallas Cowboys.
That someone wound up being the Bills, who left Ralph Wilson Stadium with a 16-6 win over the Cowboys that improved their record to 7-8, but served no other real significance.
Here is a look at whose stock is rising and falling after Sunday's game.
• Mike Gillislee: From off the street to the practice squad to the end zone in three straight games, Gillislee's performance demands attention. His 50-yard touchdown run sealed the win for the Bills, making him the team's first running back since Antowain Smith in 1997 to have rushing touchdowns of at least 50 yards in two straight games.
• AJ Tarpley: The rookie undrafted free agent out of Stanford was cut earlier this season, then brought back to the practice squad only to rejoin the active roster a short time later because of an injury to fellow rookie Tony Steward. Tarpley made his first career interception in the third quarter and later forced a fumble on special teams, earning the praise of coach Rex Ryan after the game.
• Ron Brooks: The Bills' cornerback has been a special-teams contributor almost exclusively, but was asked to play on defense Sunday because of injuries and finished with five solo tackles, including one for a loss, and broke up two passes.
• Boobie Dixon: The Bills' fourth-string running back has been entirely marginalized in the offense, but it was Dixon's comments after the game that landed him here. Calling next week's game against the Jets the Bills' "Super Bowl" is just plain sad.
• Mario Williams: He played 54 of 59 defensive snaps and does not appear on the stat sheet. Aside from comically lining up on a wide receiver in the slot on one play, Williams was invisible against the Cowboys. No two parties have ever needed a divorce more.
• John Miller: The Bills' rookie right guard suffered another ankle injury against Dallas. The second half of Miller's season has been greatly impacted by recurring injury problems.
- Vic Carucci: Bills use ground game to grind out victory | Take Five | Hot read
- Jerry Sullivan: A worthy goal remains: Giving the Jets fits | Hot read
- Bucky Gleason: Shiny win doesn’t mask Ryan’s blemishes | Hot read
- Tim Graham: Taxi-squad talent makes for a dreary day | Insta-Graham
- Tyler Dunne: Report Card | O-line takes offense at Polian comments | Notebook | Points After
- Jay Skurski: Quarterly report | Fourth-down analysis | Five things about Jets
- Mark Gaughan: 10 Plays That Shaped The Game | Matchup winners | Hot read
- PHOTOS: Through the lens of: Mark Mulville | Harry Scull Jr. | James P. McCoy
- VIDEO: Highlights, postgame press conferences & Our Team's Takeaway