LOCKPORT – The developers of two planned subdivisions in the town are taking advantage of this year’s code amendment that reduced the allowable frontage for a home lot.
The Planning Board on Tuesday approved requests from DJMS Development Corp. to increase the number of lots in the Clark View Estates subdivision to 79 lots, from 71, and Cimato Enterprises increased the Heatherwoods subdivision to 151 lots, from 141.
Earlier this year, the Town Board changed the town’s laws to allow for smaller home lots, hoping to encourage more new home development. On Tuesday, it seemed that the goal was being accomplished.
The Clark View plan for a development behind the homes on Old English Road was originally approved in June 2010, but the project has yet to be built because of conditions in the housing market, developer David J. Sparks said.
Now, he hopes to start constructing the first phase of the project, 37 homes, in the spring of 2016.
There would be an entrance to the development from Lincoln Avenue, with the construction site lying between Ernest and Keck roads.
Civil engineer Patricia M. Bittar said the project was envisioned as a cluster development of patio homes, with lots measuring 60 by 130 feet. Town Attorney Michael J. Norris said that in order to qualify for the undersized cluster lot size, the developer had to submit a plan showing that it could accommodate the 85-foot lots on the property.
“You’re losing a little greenspace,” Town Planner Andrew C. Reilly said.
Sparks said the size of the homes will range from 1,400 to 1,700 square feet, with the price to be determined. Reilly said Town Engineer Robert D. Klavoon will be asked to approve the new plans.
Paul Case, representing Cimato, said 74 homes already have been built on a 49-acre parcel at the northwest corner of Rapids and Old Beattie roads, under a plan that the town approved in 2005.
Nearly 39 acres are left, and Case asked for the minimum width of the remaining lots to be reduced from 100 feet wide to 85 feet, allowing the creation of 10 more lots. Thus, there are 77 homes left to build.
Not all the lots will be 85 feet wide, Case said. “There are a few that are a little bit wider,” he said.
No one representing Noco appeared at the meeting to discuss the company’s plan for a new convenience store and gas station, including a Tim Hortons Cafe & Bake Shop, on the site of its current station on South Transit Road.
Norris said the board couldn’t have approved it Tuesday except by applying numerous conditions, because final engineering plans have not yet been submitted.
The project will return to the agenda next month.
Planning Board Chairman Richard R. Forsey said Noco’s plan includes demolishing the existing building, and acquiring and tearing down two adjacent buildings: a house and a bar, called Pour Boyz.