The Fargo Estate Historic District has been nominated to the state and national Registers of Historic Places by the state Board for Historic Preservation.
The designation would allow the more than 400 property owners in the district to be eligible for 20 percent savings in historic tax credits for home-improvement projects, and 40 percent for commercial upgrades.
The area is named for William G. Fargo, who built a large estate in 1872 bounded by Jersey and Pennsylvania streets, and Plymouth and Fargo avenues. His estate was demolished in 1900 and in the early 20th century homes were built on the grounds for middle-class residents.
Sponsorship of the residential neighborhood, at the western boundary of Kleinhans Music Hall, which is a National Historic Landmark, was made by Kleinhans Music Hall Management Inc. on the occasion of its 75th anniversary.
Others who helped make it possible were Francis Kowsky, Martin Wachadlo, Catherine Schweitzer, Niagara Council Member David Rivera and Jennifer Walkowski Schrock.