Give for Greatness, the local arts philanthropy founded by then-Artvoice publisher Jamie Moses in the wake of the 2011 cultural funding crisis, has named its latest round of grantees.
The grants, administered by Arts Services Initiative, will be awarded in $1,000 allotments to these 30 organizations, chosen from 83 applicants:
- 1891 Fredonia Opera House
- Brazen-Faced Varlets
- Buffalo Religious Arts Center
- Cattaraugus County Arts Council
- Cuba Circulating Library
- Dreamland Arts, Inc.
- EARTH’S DAUGHTERS: A Feminist Arts Periodical
- El Buen Amigo / Latin American Cultural Association
- Friends of Vienna
- Greater Buffalo Youth Orchestra
- Harmonia Chamber Singers
- Hispanic Heritage Council of Western New York
- Lewiston Council on the Arts, Inc.
- Lockside Art Center
- Net Positive (dba The Foundry)
- Neto Hatinakwe Onkwehowe
- Niagara Arts and Cultural Center
- North Shore Arts Alliance
- Patterson Library
- PDdance (National Parkinson Foundation WNY)
- Southern Tier Symphony, Inc.
- Sportsmen’s Americana Music Foundation
- Springville Center for the Arts
- Squeaky Wheel Film & Media Art Center
- Subversive Theatre Collective
- Sugar City
- Torn Space Theater
- Western New York Book Arts Center'
Money for the grants was raised through a series of events including the Kootsie Ball, Lawyers for the Arts, the Best of Broadway collaboration between Buffalo theaters and the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra and the Corporate Battle of the Bands.
“The 2015 Give for Greatness grant recipients represent some important cultural organizations doing great work across Western New York,” ASI Executive Director Tod A. Kniazuk said in a statement. “They show the incredible depth and breadth of arts and culture across disciplines and geography, and ASI is proud to be able to empower them through our Give for Greatness program.”