How they fared
1. Canisius (3-0): Beat South Park, 23-20. Next week: Saturday vs. DePaul Catholic (NJ), 1 p.m.
2. Orchard Park (3-0): Beat Bennett, 27-16. Next week: Saturday at Hutch-Tech, 4 p.m.
3. Jamestown (2-1): Lost to Lancaster, 46-40. Next week: Friday vs. Bishop Timon-St. Jude, 7 p.m.
4. South Park (2-1): Lost to Canisius, 23-20. Next week: Saturday vs. West Seneca West, 1 p.m.
5. St. Francis (2-1): Lost to Walsh Jesuit (Ohio), 42-21. Next week: Saturday at V-Aquinas, 1 p.m.
6. Bishop Timon-St. Jude (3-0): Beat St. Mary’s of Lancaster, 44-27. Next week: Friday at Jamestown, 7 p.m.
7. West Seneca East (3-0): Beat Hamburg, 21-20. Next week: Friday at McKinley, 7 p.m.
8. Williamsville North (2-1): Beat Niagara-Wheatfield, 34-13. Next week: Friday at North Tonawanda, 7 p.m.
9. Lancaster (2-1): Beat Jamestown, 46-40. Next week: Friday at Frontier, 7:30 p.m.
10. Hamburg* (2-1): Lost West Seneca East, 21-20. Next week: Friday at Iroquois, 7 p.m.
10. Starpoint* (3-0): Beat Grand Island, 38-13. Next Week: Saturday at Lockport, 2 p.m.
1. Bennett (2-1): Lost to Orchard Park, 27-16. Next week: Friday vs. JFK, 7 p.m.
2. Cheektowaga (3-0): Beat Newfane, 63-6. Next week: Friday vs. Tonawanda, 7 p.m.
3. Springville (3-0): Beat Southwestern, 53-20. Next week: off.
4. Alden (3-0): Beat Barker/Roy-Hart, 54-7. Next week: Friday at Depew, 7:30 p.m.
5. Cleveland Hill (3-0): Beat Akron, 38-14. Next week: Friday at Lackawanna, 7 p.m.
6. East Aurora (2-1): Lost to Dunkirk, 7-2. Next week: Friday at Albion, 7 p.m.
7. Dunkirk (2-0): Beat East Aurora, 7-2. Next week: Friday vs. Pioneer, 7:30 p.m.
8. Franklinville/Ellicottville (2-1): Lost to Portville, 28-20. Next week: Friday at Westfield/Brocton, 7 p.m.
9. St. Mary’s of Lancaster (1-2): Lost to Bishop Timon-St. Jude, 44-27. Next week: Saturday vs. St. Joe’s, 1 p.m.
10. Lackawanna (3-0): Beat Wilson, 28-12. Next week: Friday vs. Cleveland Hill, 7 p.m.
• Lancaster’s Zack Samborski rushed for 389 yards and five touchdowns and also caught five passes for 101 yards and a score as the Legends earned a statement road win by beating defending state Class AA champion Jamestown, 46-41, at Strider Field – spoiling the Red Raiders’ home opener.
• Springville’s Ian Baker set the school record with six touchdowns and finished with 266 yards on 23 rushes during the Griffins’ 53-20 nonleague win over visiting Southwestern.
• John Dolac III blocked two extra points, made 11 tackles and rushed for 88 yards to help West Seneca East remain unbeaten with a 21-20 win at Hamburg.
• Lackawanna’s Khalil Horton proved to be quite efficient, rushing for 250 yards and four touchdowns on just nine carries during the Steelers’ 28-12 win at Wilson. The sophomore had scoring runs of 87 and 80 yards.
• North Tonawanda’s Cody Sikora rushed for 169 yards and three TDs, his last forcing overtime during NT’s wild 49-48 Class A North win over Williamsville South. Lumberjacks teammate Joe Dotterweich also scored three times and ran in the game-winning conversion.
• Matt Myers passed for 216 yards and rushed for 92, finishing with three touchdowns during Bishop Timon-St. Jude’s 44-27 win at St. Mary’s.
• Clifford Zeigler rushed 10 times for 192 yards and three 3 TDs and recorded six tackles and a sack on defense to lead Cardinal O’Hara to a 34-6 win over V-Leadership Academy.
• Brandon Few’s 24-yard field goal with 13 seconds left provided the winning points for Lockport in a 27-25 verdict at Clarence.
• Ryan Sherk rushed for 121 yards and a TD, while quarterback Dennis Broad ran for three scores and completed 5-of-10 passes for 150 yards as West Seneca West snapped a 17-game losing streak to beat Amherst, 36-0. It’s the Indians’ first win since beating Riverside, 23-6, Oct. 25, 2012.
From Friday Night Lights to Saturday afternoon homecoming games, BuffaloNews.com is the place to keep track of all of Western New York’s football action.
Review our #PrepTalkLive coverage from this weekend’s games at the Prep Talk blog, including interviews from West Seneca East’s 21-20 win at Hamburg. Our scoreboard page also has additional details from several games.
Check out photo galleries from this weekend’s games and look at past galleries capturing riveting images from training camps as teams prepared for the 2015 season.
Intriguing nonleaguer takes place at Strider Field as unbeaten Bishop Timon-St. Jude heads down to Jamestown to face the Red Raiders (2-1), who were stunned in their home opener last Friday by Lancaster. Also on Friday, a key Class C North clash has Cleveland Hill visiting fellow unbeaten Lackawanna. In Class A North, Grand Island visits Williamsville South, while Williamsville North visits North Tonawanda in a game whose winner will remain unbeaten in division play. And don’t forget, Alden hits the road for its annual grudge match with division rival Depew.
Saturday’s top games include unbeaten Starpoint visiting rival Lockport and DePaul Catholic of New Jersey visiting Canisius.