Share this article

print logo

Ray mulls plea offer in Falls shooting

LOCKPORT – Arthur B. Ray III, charged with attempted murder in the Feb. 19 shooting of a Niagara Falls man, has been offered a plea-bargain, his attorney said Friday after a brief appearance by Ray in Niagara County Court.

Defense lawyer James J. Faso Jr. said Ray has been offered a plea to second-degree criminal possession of a weapon, which carries a maximum 15-year prison sentence. If he goes to trial Oct. 13 and is convicted of attempted murder, first-degree burglary and the weapons charge, he risks a 40-year maximum sentence. County Judge Sara Sheldon told Ray to come back to court Thursday.

Ray, 35, of Cleveland Avenue, Niagara Falls, allegedly shot Henry King, 40, in the home of Ray’s ex-girlfriend on South Avenue. King reportedly had been dating the woman.

Deputy District Attorney Doreen M. Hoffmann declined comment on the plea offer.