Share this article

print logo

Two pets die in Town of Tonawanda apartment fire

A pet rabbit and a pet ferret died in a fire that damaged one of the four apartment units at the Balzac Court Apartment complex Thursday afternoon in the Town of Tonawanda.

Chief Shawn Kauffman of the Sheridan Park Fire Department, the lead agency dealing with the fire called in about 4:08 p.m. said the fire was caused by a faulty air conditioning window unit in one of the apartment buildings in the complex at 22 Balzac Court. Two pet dogs and two pet cats were rescued and no humans were injured in the fire, Kauffman said. Damage was listed as $40,000 to the building and $20,000 to contents.