Buffalo News polls
First-place votes in brackets; *-tie in points.
Team (Class) Rec. Pts.
1. Canisius  2-0 100
2. Orchard Park (AA) 2-0 87
3. Jamestown (AA) 2-0 80
4. South Park (A)* 2-0 63
4. St. Francis* 2-0 63
6. Bishop Timon-St. Jude 2-0 48
7. West Seneca East (A) 2-0 27
8. Williamsville North (A) 1-1 26
9. Lancaster (AA) 1-1 19
10. Hamburg (A)* 2-0 7
10. Starpoint (A)* 2-0 7
Others receiving votes: St. Joe’s 6, Williamsville South (A) 5, Grand Island (A) 4, North Tonawanda (A) 3, Iroquois (A) 3, Niagara Falls (AA) 3.
Pollsters: Mark Adair (WNY Football Weekly), Sean Bruso (Springville), Sibby Constantino (Trench Trophy), Dick Gallagher (WNY High School Sports), Tom Langworthy (Jamestown), John Lewis (Connolly Cup), Rich Robbins (Canisius), Dennis Gilbert (St. Joe’s), Dennis Sarow (Connolly Cup), The Buffalo News.
Team (Class) Rec. Pts.
1. Bennett (C)  2-0 99
2. Cheektowaga (B)  2-0 91
3. Springville (B) 2-0 73
4. Alden (B) 2-0 64
5. Cleveland Hill (C) 2-0 58
6. East Aurora (B) 2-0 50
7. Dunkirk (B) 1-0 35
8. Frank./Ellicott. (D) 2-0 32
9. St. Mary’s 1-1 17
10. Lackawanna (c) 2-0 10
Others receiving votes: Maple Grove/Ch. Lake (C) 7, Tonawanda (B) 5, Albion (B) 3, Randolph (D) 2, Depew (B) 2, Fredonia (B) 1.
Pollsters: Adair, Bruso, Constantino, Gallagher, Sarow, Bill Atlas (Wilson), Angelo Sciandra (O’Hara), Ed Sciera (Trench Trophy), Jay Sirianni (ex-Southwestern coach), The News.
CONNOLLY CUP: The ADPRO SPORTS Week Two top performers are: Matt Boss (East Aurora/Holland), Cole Burniston (Canisius), John Dolac III (West Seneca East), Thomas Easton (Franklinville/Ellicottville), Mark Ecklund (Clymer/Sherman/Panama), Jack Holyoke (Williamsville South), Khalil Horton (Lackawanna), Duquan Hubbard (Niagara Falls), Devan Jackson (Jamestown), Stephen Marzano (Clarence), Daryl Moore (South Park), Jacob Sarow (Akron), Ethan Shattuck (Tonawanda), DeAngelo Walker-Johnson (Kenmore West) and Brandon Yax (Iroquois). Coaches encouraged to send players they’d like to have looked at via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
TRENCH TROPHY: The Week Two linemen are: Tylor Beyer (Pioneer), Jacob Grant (Depew), Jake Fuzak (Williamsville South), Richard Roberton (Canisius) and Wesley Senn (Randolph).
UNDERCLASSMEN of the WEEK: The Jim Kelly honorees for Week Two are, on offense, St. Francis junior quarterback Jerry Hickson, and on defense, Isaiah McDuffie of Bennett.
CHARACTER AWARDS: The Section VI Football Character Athletes of the Week, setting the example in Speech, Conduct, Love, Faith and Integrity of the Game, are sponsored by Intense Milk:
JC Freeborn (Portville), Max Bates (Westfield/Brocton), Brandon Curtis (CV/FCS), Mark Ecklund (CSP), EJ Staniszewski (East Aurora), William Bays (Frank/Ell/WV), Matt Hanft (Catt/LV), Noah Banazwski (Medina/Lyn), Nick Gamble (Cleveland Hill), Mikeal Bell (Wilson), Jake Cavanaugh (Grand Island), Brian Morreale (Williamsville East), Jake Burns (Akron), Taylor Gribble (JFK). Ryan Paolini (Orchard Park), and Jared Hoerner (Frontier).
• Fans of cross country will have two fine meets to watch on Saturday, Sept. 26 – one north of the city of Buffalo, and one south of it.
The East Aurora Cross Country Invitational gets underway at 8 a.m. at the high school. Races will be held in the varsity, junior varsity and junior high levels.
Then two hours later, more good teams will gather at Akron Falls Park in Akron for the Western New York Officials Invitational.
There are three different varsity races for both the boys and girls. The one/two runners from each school will compete in one race, three/four in a second, five/six/seven in the third. Junior varsity events are also scheduled.
• The Niagara Frontier League’s boys volleyball teams get down to work on Monday with three matches. Lockport takes on Grand Island, Niagara Wheatfield goes up against Grand Island, and North Tonawanda faces Kenmore West.
On Tuesday, Williamsville East and West Seneca East hope to continue their winning ways when they play each other in ECIC II. It’s the same story in ECIC III, as Maryvale goes against Amherst.
• It’s a very busy week in girls volleyball, with several interesting matches coming up. St. Mary’s of Lancaster, in the midst of reloading after a memorable 2014 season, hosts Niagara Catholic on Tuesday night.
Speaking of last year, on that same night a pair of sectional champs will play – but not each other. Williamsville East (Class A) goes against West Seneca East, while Williamsville South (Class B) takes on Lake Shore.
• In girls soccer, Clarence has had something of a nice break over the past several days. The Red Devils return to work on Wednesday when Lancaster visits the Main Street campus. On Friday, Williamsville East entertains Hamburg.
• St. Joe’s is ranked first in the area among large school boys soccer teams. The Marauders are off to a 7-0 start, with Clarence holding the No. 2 spot at 4-1. St. Joe’s will play St. Francis at home on Thursday.
By the way, Williamsville schools are ranked in three of the top six spots. North is third, East is fourth and South is sixth, with Niagara Wheatfield interrupting the run in the No. 5 spot.
Among small schools, East Aurora is ranked first. The Blue Devils are undefeated on the young season at 4-0-1, have home games this week against Pioneer on Tuesday and Cheektowaga on Thursday.
• The Starpoint boys golf team is off to an excellent 3-0 start. But danger will be lurking on Friday, when the Spartans face another undefeated team in 2-0 Alden.
The Harvard Cup’s Hall of Fame Class of 2015 will be honored on Saturday night at Pettibone’s Grille at Coca-Cola Field. Here are this year’s selections:
Michael Masecchia (Bennett), Richard Matty (Burgard), Anthony Alessi (Grover Cleveland), Anthony Montgomery (Grover Cleveland), Gerald Green (Kensington), Robert Licata (Lafayette), Charles Forness (Riverside), David Yaksich (Riverside), Darrell Ivey (Riverside), Phillip Passafiume (Seneca), Arthur McKinnon Jr. (Seneca), Derrick Norman (Seneca), Demetrius Duncan (South Park), Thomas Zabawa (Technical), Paul Gagliardi (football official) and Paul Trzybinski (football official).
Send items for sidelines to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org