Share this article

print logo

Murray on O'Reilly arrest: 'He was legitimately distraught over it'

Ryan O'Reilly's second date in London, Ont., court has become a third date. The case involving the Sabres center's ill-fated drive into a Tim Hortons was pushed back again today, this time to Oct. 1.

O'Reilly was charged with impaired driving and leaving the scene of an accident on July 9 after crashing his 1951 Chevrolet pickup into the cafe in Lucan, Ont., not far from London. O'Reilly had said earlier in the week he was hopeful the case could be wrapped up today but that was not the case. O'Reilly was represented by an attorney and did not appear.

"That's what we do in Canada -- we remand and remand and remand and lawyers get paid," General Manager Tim Murray joked today in First Niagara Center. "As long as the end result is what he believes is the truth to be and what we've been told ... Would it have been better that it ended on Aug. 10 or today? Maybe. But as long as it's done right vs. done in a speedy fashion, I'm fine with it."

O'Reilly was arrested just six days after signing a seven-year, $52.5-million contract extension, the longest deal in franchise history

"I think he was as disappointed as any of us," Murray said. "Obviously, we were disappointed here, our fans were probably disappointed but he was legitimately distraught over it and disappointed. He made some mistakes that he's owned up to with us.

"... What has been reported and what has been the truth, we'll see what the discrenpances are. He thinks there are some discrepancies. He'll have his day in court. Hopefully it gets resolved where it doesn't affect his travel, his ability to play for us. I'm confident that will be the case.

The Oct. 1 date coincides with a preseason game at Minnesota. O'Reilly would likely sit that one out, as veterans don't play in every exhibition anyway. The season opens Oct. 8 against Ottawa.

There are no comments - be the first to comment