Share this article

print logo

Terence J. Trudeau, retired SUNY Buffalo State professor and business owner

July 14, 1930 – June 23, 2015

Terence J. Trudeau of Snyder, a retired professor at SUNY Buffalo State who started his own company to design and manufacture laboratory equipment, died June 23 in Hospice Buffalo. He was 84.

Born in Plattsburgh, Mr. Trudeau earned a bachelor of science degree from SUNY Oswego. He then received a master’s degree in education from St. Lawrence University in Canton and a doctorate from Bowling Green State University in Ohio.

As an undergraduate, he was a member of the honor societies Epsilon Pi Tau, from which he received a laureate citation, and Kappa Delta Pi.

Mr. Trudeau was an industrial arts professor at Buffalo State for 24 years, also serving as department chairman. He wrote many articles and manuals that were published in Industrial Arts Vocational Education magazine between April 1965 and November 1973.

He developed the former power program at the college, including the overall concept and much of the software used for the instructional systems.

Mr. Trudeau contributed to industries and groups in the United States and Canada, speaking at more than 50 events during a 15-year period. He served as an education consultant to Industrial Education magazine from 1968 to 1982.

After retiring from the college in 1985, he started Powerlab, where he designed and manufactured instrumental laboratory equipment. The company was in business until August 2005.

Mr. Trudeau worked on development of the first gas turbine-powered hydroplane in the United States. He received a distinguished service citation from the Buffalo Chamber of Commerce for his work on anti-pollution vehicles.

In retirement, he spent winters in Tucson, Ariz. While in Snyder, he was a volunteer for Ten Lives Club, an animal rescue group.

Survivors include his wife, the former Doris Brown; and two daughters, Jill E. and Jana.

A memorial service will be held at 3 p.m. Thursday in Lombardo Funeral Home, 885 Niagara Falls Blvd.