Share this article

print logo

Firefighters reportedly exposed to asbestos battling Buffalo kitchen fire

A dozen Buffalo firefighters were decontaminated for exposure to building material containing asbestos Wednesday morning when they were completing the clean-up at a University Heights house fire, authorities said.

The fire occurred at 10:41 a.m. in the 2½-story, wood-frame home at 451 Lisbon Ave. It caused $35,000 damage.

While finishing at the scene, firefighters discovered the asbestos material and, as a precaution, underwent decontamination on site, a fire official said.

A couple and their seven children are provided temporary housing and other assistance by the American Red Cross.

Careless cooking was listed as the cause of the blaze.