Share this article

print logo

Dr. Charles D. Bauer, cardiologist, philanthropist, avid runner

April 21, 1923 – March 4, 2015

Dr. Charles D. Bauer was a dedicated cardiologist and internist who cared for patients in Kenmore and Amherst for more than 40 years, while providing physical and financial support to the next generations of physicians through his contributions to the University of Buffalo Medical School.

Dr. Bauer died March 4 in Spring Hill, Fla., age 91.

He believed in the traditional role of the physician while also adapting to the changing dynamics of health care. He was the first medical director of Community Blue, holding the post from 1985-90, and he made his first donation to the UB Medical School in 1953, a gift of $45.

The UB Alumni Association presented Dr. Bauer its prestigious Samuel P. Capen Award in 2014 in recognition of his commitment to the university, where he and his wife, Mary, helped endow faculty positions, scholarships and other programs in the School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences.

The Bauers established the Charles D. and Mary A. Bauer Foundation in 1998 and immediately began distributing aid to other local charities as well as the university.

Most recently, the foundation provided a $1 million gift to fund a clinical research nurse manager position at the new UB Clinical Research Center on the Medical Campus. Kim Brunton, who holds the position, praised Dr. Bauer in a recent UB publication, saying, “As a physician, he understands the challenges of advancing research to the stage where it generates successful real-world applications to benefit patients.”

Dr. Bauer was born in Buffalo and was a lifelong resident, attending St. James Catholic Elementary School, Kensington High School and UB, where he received his medical degree in 1946.

He served in the U.S. Army Medical Corps for five years, stationed at the Army and Navy Hospital in Hot Springs, Ark.

Once he returned to civilian life, Dr. Bauer and his family lived in Williamsville, and he was active in both his professional and neighborhood communities. He was on the boards of the Erie County Medical Society and the Western New York Society of Internal Medicine, serving as president of both groups, and was a delegate to the New York State Society of Internal Medicine. He was a member of the UB Dean’s Advisory Council from 1998 to 2006 and was a fellow of the American College of Physicians.

Dr. Bauer was a member of the Williamsville School Board and an active parishioner at St. Gregory the Great Church, where he was an usher, Eucharistic minister, food shuttle volunteer and benefactor. He also was a member of the Kenmore Rotary Club.

He was a noted long-distance runner for 30 years, winning a Buffalo News Runner of the Year award many times, the last when he was 84 years old. In 1980, he organized a summer physical fitness clinic at UB’s North Campus and he belonged to the Buffalo Curling Club and Brookfield Country Club.

He and his wife were married for 66 years and enjoyed traveling throughout the United States and to all parts of the world – he could tell of running in the streets of Damascus and in the jungles of Kenya.

In addition to his wife, Dr. Bauer is survived by two daughters, Christine Bakewell and Sandra Moe; three sons, C. Donald, Robert J. and Gregory M.; one brother, Alvin; and 15 grandchildren.

A memorial Mass will be offered at 1 p.m. May 23 in St. Gregory the Great Church, 200 St. Gregory Court at Maple Road, Amherst.

There are no comments - be the first to comment