Share this article

print logo

Buffalo man indicted in North Tonawanda child sex abuse case

LOCKPORT – A Buffalo man pleaded not guilty in Niagara County Court Tuesday to a child sex abuse indictment triggered, according to Assistant District Attorney Robert A. Zucco, when the defendant revealed the situation during counseling sessions that followed a probation sentence for contact with the same North Tonawanda girl.

Mohammed Numan, 40, of Sayre Street, is charged with predatory sexual assault against a child, which carries a potential sentence of life in prison. Zucco said Numan is on probation after pleading guilty to endangering the welfare of a child for contact with a girl, then 9 years old, in June 2013. The girl said at the time that was the only period in which she had been abused by Numan. But Zucco said that during a session required as part of his probation, Numan allegedly revealed there had been earlier abuse. The girl then was reinterviewed, leading to an indictment that charged Numan with a course of conduct between June 2011 and June 2013.

“He has been amenable to the prosecution. He’s been interviewed several times. We really thought long and hard about whether we should go forward with this,” Zucco told County Judge Matthew J. Murphy III, who released Numan on his own recognizance. At Murphy’s order, Numan, a naturalized U.S. citizen born in Israel, surrendered his passport and was barred from going outside Niagara and Erie counties.