Share this article

print logo

28th Street fire blamed on overloaded power strip

NIAGARA FALLS – An overloaded power strip is believed to have triggered a fire that damaged a house at 562 28th St. Saturday morning, investigators said.

Police arriving at the scene about 8 a.m. helped escort the homeowner, a 68-year-old woman, out of the burning building. The woman’s hair had been singed as she searched for her cat, according to reports. Though covered with soot, she suffered no burns and did not require treatment. authorities said.

The woman told investigators that she was sleeping in a first-floor bedroom when she noticed white smoke and then detected heat coming from a back room. Investigators said the faulty power strip was behind a couch in that room.