Share this article

print logo

Grand Island man credited with saving yacht club from mulch fire

A Grand Island man is being credited with preventing a mulch fire from causing major damage Saturday evening to the Sandy Beach Yacht Club.

Nearby homeowner Scott Sutherland saw smoke and flames coming from the front of the building on Winter Road about 6 p.m. and rushed over with a fire extinguisher after calling for assistance, according to fire officials with the Grand Island Fire Company.

Firefighters discovered that a mulch fire had damaged a section of vinyl siding but had not penetrated the outer wall of the building, officials said.

Damage to the building was estimated at $1,000. Mulch fires can be caused by spontaneous combustion or carelessly discarded cigarettes and can smolder for hours before breaking out into a major fire hazard, officials said.