Welcome to Edwin Encarnacion Rehab Stint Day 2: Electric Boogaloo.
The Toronto slugger continues his Major League Rehabilitation assignment today, again batting leadoff but scheduled to play the entire game at first base.
In Tuesday night's win, he belted a grand slam for the Bisons, the first for the Herd since Matt den Dekker did it on Aug. 14, 2012.
Encarnacion went 1 for 4 in the game and is working back off the disabled list after suffering a strained right quadriceps on July 7.
Other things you need to know before the Herd hosts Norfolk at Coca-Cola Field tonight:
- The Bisons are 2 1/2 games behind Patwucket in the International League Wild Card race. The Herd hosts the PawSox Aug. 23-26 in what could become a decisive playoff showdown.
- Sean Nolin makes his fourth start since rejoining the Herd on July 28. The lefty missed 39 games with a groin injury. Since retuning to the rotation, he has allowed just four runs (three earned) in 17 innings.
- Kevin Pillar. The dude can hit. The outfielder now has a league-gest 19-game hitting streak. SInce July 25 he has averaged .397 with 13 extra base hits while driving in 18 runs.
- Reinforcements are on the way. The Blue Jays claimed left-handed pitcher Colt Hynes off waivers from the L.A. Dodgers. Hynes was 1-3 with a 4.08 earned run average in 42 relief outings for Albuquerque in the Pacific Coast League. Assigned to the Bisons, he is expected to report in the next few days.
- Before the game, Jeff Manto will be inducted into the International League Hall of Fame. The pre-game ceremony is scheduled to start at 6:50 p.m. Manto, who has his No. 30 retired on the outfield wall at Coca-Cola Field, hit .275 and 125 home runs with seven different IL clubs between 1992 and 2000. He stared on the Bisons' teams which won the American Association title in 1997 and the Governors' Cup in 1998.
Tonight's Bisons' lineup:
Edwin Encarncion -- 1B
Darin Mastroianni -- CF
Kevin Pillar -- LF
Brad Glenn -- RF
Cole Gillespie -- DH
Ryan Goins -- SS
Jared Goedert -- 3B
Ryan Schimpf -- 2B
Sean Ochinko -- C