Champion eater pops question
High-ranking chowhound Joey Chestnut dropped to one knee and proposed to his longtime girlfriend before Friday’s annual hot dog eating contest, then packed away 61 franks and buns in 10 minutes to hold onto his coveted mustard yellow winner’s belt.
The San Jose, Calif., man fell far short of his record last year of 69 dogs and buns, but he still easily beat second-place finisher Matt Stonie, also of San Jose, who downed just 56.
Chestnut, 30, took a quick timeout before the annual Nathan’s Famous Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest at Coney Island to make it official with his longtime girlfriend, Neslie Ricasa, who is also a competitive eater.
In the women’s division, defending champion Sonya “Black Widow” Thomas lost her title to Miki Sudo.
Sudo, of Las Vegas, wolfed down 34 franks and buns. Thomas, of Alexandria, Va., was only able to devour 27ß.
Chestnut has now won the contest eight times in a row.
Life term upheld for killer
A state appeals court has upheld the life sentence for a man who killed two Southern California women three decades ago, including the mother of guitarist Dave Navarro.
City News Service says the 2nd District Court of Appeal upheld John Riccardi’s sentence Thursday.
Riccardi was convicted of killing his estranged girlfriend, Connie Navarro, and her friend Sue Jory in 1983 at a West Los Angeles condominium.
Navarro’s son, Dave, played with the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Jane’s Addiction.
He was just 15 when his mother was killed.
Musician held in wife’s slaying
A former member of the 1990s R&B group Hi-Five has been arrested in the stabbing death of his wife in Houston.
Police say 40-year-old Russell Neal walked into a Harris County Sheriff’s Office on Wednesday and told authorities his wife was dead at their home.
Police said he was arrested and made no further comment.
Houston police say 24-year-old Catherine Martinez was stabbed multiple times.
Court records show Neal remained jailed Friday on a $100,000 bond on a murder complaint.
He’s scheduled to appear in court Monday.
SiriusXM fires shock jock
Anthony Cumia of the “Opie & Anthony” radio show has been fired by SiriusXM, who cited his “racially charged” and “hate-filled” remarks on Twitter as the reason.
SiriusXM spokesman Patrick Reilly said Friday that Cumia’s remarks and postings were “abhorrent” to the satellite radio company.
In addition to racial remarks, they also included tweets and retweets that were degrading to women.
Reilly says the shock jock was fired late Thursday.
Cumia’s response Friday on Twitter included an obscenity in relation to SiriusXM. He says he was fired over material that was not aired and was not illegal.
— From News wire services