Town of Tonawanda
The Ken-Ton School Board has selected a successor to outgoing Superintendent Mark P. Mondanaro.
The board has scheduled a special meeting for 6:30 p.m. Monday in the district’s administration building, 1500 Colvin Blvd., to reveal the new superintendent’s identity. Mondanaro announced in January that he would retire this summer from the district he has led since 2007 to raise his two grandchildren.
Mondanaro, 57, came to Ken-Ton in July 2007 from the much smaller LaFayette School District, south of Syracuse, where he also served as superintendent.
The new superintendent is expected to attend Monday’s meeting. The board in February hired the Warner Center at the University of Rochester as consultants for its superintendent search.
Also this week:
• The Town Board meets at 7:30 p.m. Monday in Council Chambers at the Municipal Building, 2919 Delaware Avenue. A work session begins at 4 in the conference room.
• Jack Lang, a retired U.S. Air Force flight instructor whose students included a young George W. Bush, will recount some adventures as a flight trainer, in “43 and Me, a History.” The free presentation, with photographs, will be held at 7:15 p.m. Tuesday in the Tonawanda-Kenmore Historical Society, 100 Knoche Road. The museum offers ample parking and handicap access.
• A work session of Kenmore Village Board begins at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the mayor’s office at the Municipal Building. A regular meeting follows at 8 in Council Chambers.
• The town’s Small Boat Harbor, at the foot of Sheridan Drive, opens Friday. Season passes are $85 for residents (proof of residency required) and $115 for nonresidents. Weekday rates are $6 a day; weekends and holidays are $10 a day. Discounted senior passes also are available.
• The town clerk’s office in Room 14 of the Municipal Building will remain open until 7 p.m. on Wednesdays, through Sept. 24, for couples who wish to apply for a marriage license. The office normally closes at 4:30 p.m. but hours will be extended to accommodate couples’ work schedules during the summer, when requests for marriage licenses is highest. Applicants must present proof of age, such as a long-form birth certificate, and proof of identification, such as a driver’s license.