Grand Island clergyman burned in vehicle fire - The Buffalo News
print logo

Grand Island clergyman burned in vehicle fire

The associate pastor of Grand Island’s Harbor Lights Fellowship Church suffered what he described as “superficial burns” to his hands when gasoline ignited on a passenger vehicle he was working on at about noon Friday in the church’s storage garage at 1865 Grand Island Blvd.

Associate Pastor Vincent Anetrini told officials of the Grand Island Fire Company said he was burned when he drove the burning vehicle out of the garage to prevent fire damage to a camper trailer also parked in the garage. He declined medical treatment.

Fire Chief Matt Osinski said the fire company responded within about three and a half minutes of the call at the garage, formerly part of the old Island Pools complex.

Osinski said the fire was put out within 20 minutes with no other injuries, though the car the clergyman was working on was destroyed in the fire. Damage to the contents of the garage was listed at $10,000 but the metal garage itself was not damaged in the fire, the chief said.

Grand Island Fire Company Investigator Chuck Berlinger said the accidental ignition of gasoline was the cause of the fire. Firefighters from both the Sheridan Park Volunteer Fire Department and the City of Tonawanda Fire Department provide backup mutual aid support on the fire, Osinski said.

There are no comments - be the first to comment