Man, 93, dies in Ellicott house fire - The Buffalo News

Share this article

print logo

Man, 93, dies in Ellicott house fire

JAMESTOWN – An elderly man died Thursday night in a house fire on Moon Road in the Town of Ellicott.

When firefighters arrived, fire was blowing out of every window in the two-story frame house, according to a fire official. Firefighters found the 93-year-old victim in his bedroom, according to Ellicott police. The man, whose identity was not released, lived alone with his dog, which also died in the fire, police said.

Chautauqua County Coroner John Sixbey pronounced the victim dead at the scene. It is believed that he died from smoke inhalation.

Authorities were still trying to contact family members Friday evening.

An electrical wire in a crawl space under the kitchen shorted out, igniting a floor joist, and the fire then spread to the rest of the house, which was destroyed, according to sheriff’s deputies.

The Fluvanna Fire Department responded to several calls of a fire at the house at 10:40 p.m., according to First Assistant Chief Jerry Raab. He said firefighters remained on the scene until 3:30 a.m. today. He said the fire destroyed the house.

Firefighters were assisted by colleagues from Bemus Point, Busti, Ellery Center, Ellington, Falconer, Frewsburg, Gerry, Kennedy, Kiantone and Sinclairville.

There are no comments - be the first to comment