The Amherst Senior Citizens Foundation has given $10,000 to Amherst Senior Transportation Services to assist seniors with rides to and from the grocery store.
The new service will be operational by April 15. Reservations can be made by calling 636-3075.
Located in the Amherst Center for Senior Services building at 370 John James Audubon Parkway, Amherst Senior Transportation Services is a nonprofit agency committed to providing transportation to enhance the quality of life and promote independence for seniors. Residents 55 years or older are eligible for services.
Also this week:
• A meeting of the town’s Recreation Commission begins at 5 p.m. Tuesday in Northtown Center at Amherst, 1615 Amherst Manor Drive.
• “Passports on the Move,” a community outreach event by the Erie County Clerk’s Office, will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Tuesday in the auto bureau at Northtown Plaza, 3095 Sheridan Drive, Amherst.
Applicants can apply for a passport card, passport book or both. Payment must be by check or money order, and reservations must be made by contacting the Erie County Clerk’s Office at 858-8866.
Passport photos will be taken on site for $10.
• The Town Board meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Municipal Building, 5583 Main St.
• The Historic Preservation Committee is scheduled to meet at 7:15 p.m. Tuesday in the Municipal Building.
• A meeting of the Sweet Home School Board begins at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Norman C. Vergils Community Center, 1901 Sweet Home Road.
• Budget adoption is on the agenda when the Williamsville School Board meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the district board room at 105 Casey Road.
• Penn Dixie and the Williamsville Space Lab Planetarium are collaborating on an astronomy-planetarium program that begins at 6 p.m. Wednesday at the planetarium, 1595 Hopkins Road. Penn Dixie telescopes will be available to observe a gibbous-waxing moon in the southeast, Jupiter in the south and a variety of constellations. “Galileo: The Power of the Telescope” will be shown at 6:30 and 7:15 p.m. The program is free; registration is not required. Visitors may bring their own telescopes.
• A meeting of the Amherst Youth Board will be held at 7 p.m. Wednesday in Harlem Road Community Center, 4255 Harlem Road.
• Minority/Women Owned Business in Amherst will meet at 1 p.m. Thursday in the Municipal Building.