Two tenants suffered minor burns and were treated at the scene, following an early-morning two-alarm fire that broke out in the downstairs garage of an apartment house in Darien, Genesee County sheriff’s officials reported.
Volunteers from the Darien Fire Department responded to a 4:33 a.m. alarm at 1363 Broadway, Darien, at the intersection of routes 20 and 77. All tenants in the five occupied apartments were evacuated safely.
Two residents told Genesee County sheriff’s personnel that they smelled gasoline, went down to the garage and noticed the garage floor was wet. Officials speculated that the furnace may have ignited gasoline vapor, thus starting the fire.