Four local college students interested in law enforcement careers are getting schooled at the Cheektowaga Police Department.
Bridget A. Smith of Buffalo and Jonathan R. Tirado of Cheektowaga, who attend Medaille College; John O’Donnell of Cheektowaga, a student at Bryant & Stratton; and Brittany Yasow of Buffalo, who attends Erie Community College, recently were approved for unpaid student internships by the Town Board.
The internships began in late February and last until May 31.
Also this week:
• A Town Board work session begins at 6 p.m. Monday in the Council Office conference room in Town Hall, 3301 Broadway.
• The Maryvale Board of Education will host a regular meeting on Monday, 6 p.m., at the district administrative office, 1050 Maryvale Drive.
• The Cheektowaga Central Board of Education will hold its preliminary budget presentation and regular meeting at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the boardroom at Cheektowaga High School, 3600 Union Road.
• The Sloan Village Board meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Village Hall, 425 Reiman St.
• Information about associate and bachelor degree programs offered by SUNY Empire State College will be available at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday in the Niagara Frontier Center at Appletree Business Park, 2875 Union Road. For more information, call 686-7850.
• The Bellevue Fire District No. 9 Board of Fire Commissioners will hold a work session at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the fire hall, 511 Como Park Blvd. The meeting is open to the public.
• The Walk for Warriors Project Walk-a-thon will be held from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday, May 10, on the grounds of Cheektowaga Central Middle/High School, 3600 Union Road.
The fundraiser will benefit the Wounded Warriors Project and the completion of the Iraq-Afghanistan Memorial.
The deadline to register for the event is Tuesday, April 1. The registration packet and directions on registering teams may be found on the district’s website at http://www.cheektowagacentral.org/. For more information about the walk, call Frank Marchese at 686-3635, and for questions concerning registration, call Rosemary Hoffman at 686-3695, ext. 3442.