• Published

West Valley Central School students got most of the day off Monday, after a leak in a main gas line outside the school forced an early-morning evacuation and then the dismissal of students later in the morning.

School officials detected a gas smell, called the gas company and learned about the gas-line leak shortly after 8 a.m. Students were quickly led to two nearby evacuation sites by 8:20 a.m.

When officials learned that the problem would take hours to fix, the students were sent home on school buses starting at about 11 a.m.

“I thought it went very well,” School Supt. Eric Lawton said of the evacuation procedure, praising local fire and gas officials, the school staff and the students.

Classes are expected to resume, as normal, on Tuesday morning.

Click here to see the comments. Add yours now!