NIAGARA FALLS – A 15-year-old Niagara Falls boy who is a student at Niagara Falls High School was charged with falsely reporting an incident Wednesday for allegedly making bomb threats to Niagara Falls and Niagara Wheatfield high schools Monday.
The teen, whose name was not released due to his age, told investigators from the Niagara Falls Police Department and Niagara County Sheriff ‘s Office that it was “a prank gone bad.”
The “prank” caused school officials to lock down Niagara Falls High School and evacuate Niagara Wheatfield High School and Middle School while bomb-sniffing dogs searched the schools.
Police said someone called 911 at 7:55 a.m. Monday claiming bombs were in both schools.
Investigators learned that the call was made from a prepaid mobile phone that had been purchased by a home health aide who had left the phone in the home of a client. The client said the juvenile took the phone without permission and made the calls.
The teen said he had no anger toward either school. He explained to police that he called the two schools because he attended Niagara Falls High and his girlfriend attends Niagara Wheatfield High School.
Investigators said the girlfriend is not believed to be involved.
The charge of falsely reporting an incident is a Class D felony, and the teen will be arraigned in Family Court due to his age, said Niagara Falls Police Detective Lt. Michael Trane.