Firefighters on Grand Island battled a blaze at a home at 36 Melrose Road near East River Road in Grand Island that was reported just after 10:30 a.m. Friday morning.
At least one woman was home at the time the fire broke out. That woman, the homeowner, was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation but declined transportation to the hospital.
Materials stored on an electric stove sparked the fire, according to Fire Chief Matt Osinkski of Grand Island Fire Co. The blaze broke out in an attached garage and spread “minimally” into the interior of the two-story home. Firefighters waged an “aggressive interior attack” and were able to contain the fire to the garage within 18 minutes, despite having to bypass a frozen fire hydrant, the department said.
Crews from Grand Island, the City of Tonawanda, Sheridan Park and Kenmore responded.
Damages were estimated at $50,000 to the structure and $75,000 to the home’s contents. The home is listed on Zillow at a value of $305,000.