Where We Live: Lackawanna - The Buffalo News
print logo

Where We Live: Lackawanna


The City Council will have its re-organizational meeting at 6:30 p.m. Monday in Council chambers in City Hall, 714 Ridge Road.

A resolution to re-appoint Gail Nicholson as deputy city clerk is on the agenda.

Council members also will consider resolutions establishing meeting dates for 2014, appointing a Council president pro-tempore for 2014; and naming an official newspaper for the city for 2014.

Also this week:

• The Lackawanna City School District will have a special meeting at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the superintendent’s conference room, 245 South Shore Boulevard, to award a contract for renovations to Truman Elementary School at 15 Inner Drive.

District voters approved plans for a $6.65 million renovation of the school back in March of 2012, but bids for the project weren’t received until this past fall.

According to school officials, 98 percent of the cost of the project will be eligible for reimbursement by the state, and the remaining 2 percent will be covered under the state’s Expanding Our Children’s Education and Learning funding.

Among the improvements for the 46-year-old campus are: replacing a deteriorated canopy in front of the school, resurfacing and reconfiguring the parking lot, repairing cracked concrete foundations at the corners of the building and replacing the outdated electrical distribution system.

Bathrooms in the building also would be reconfigured and updated to meet accessibility standards required by the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act.

There are no comments - be the first to comment