• Published

An overhead sprinkler pipe inside an Amherst assisted-living facility burst on Saturday afternoon, creating a mess inside the facility’s lobby.

None of the residents of Emeritus at Bassett Manor had to be evacuated, but firefighters from East Amherst Fire Department were called to the scene about 1:15 p.m. The burst pipe caused about an inch and a half of water to flood the front lobby of the facility at 245 Bassett Road.

Firefighters spent more than an hour at the scene, said Fire Chief Mike Morris, who blamed the recent severe cold snap as the likely cause.

“It’s attributed to the cold weather,” he said.

Residents were not affected by the spraying water, said the facility’s executive director, Lennie Boop.

Area fire dispatchers said they’ve fielded several reports of bursting pipes over the past few days.

“It’s not an epidemic, but there’s definitely been a few,” said one dispatcher.

Click here to see the comments. Add yours now!