Frank A. Forgione, retired Falls city engineer - The Buffalo News

Share this article

print logo

Frank A. Forgione, retired Falls city engineer

Oct. 29, 1926 – Dec. 30, 2013

NIAGARA FALLS – Frank A. Forgione, of Lewiston, a retired Niagara Falls city engineer, died Monday in Our Lady of Peace Nursing Care Residence, Lewiston. He was 87.

Born in Niagara Falls, he was a graduate of Niagara Falls High School and earned a degree in civil engineering in 1949 from the University of Notre Dame. He served in the New York State National Guard and attained the rank of lieutenant colonel.

Mr. Forgione worked for the Army Corps of Engineers for two years and in 1951 became a managing partner in his family’s business, Forgione Lumber Co., in Niagara Falls.

He was named the City of Niagara Falls engineer in 1979 and worked as a utilities engineer at the waste water treatment plan, retiring in 1991. He came out of retirement in 1992 to become interim director of the drinking water plant. He served until 1996.

He was a charter member of the Upper Mountain Volunteer Fire Company in Lewiston.

A lifelong member of St. Joseph Catholic Church in Niagara Falls, he was a member of its Holy Name Society. He also was a fourth- degree member of Council 247, Knights of Columbus. He was a member of the New York State Society of Professional Engineers and the American Society of Military Engineers. He served on the board of directors of the University of Notre Dame Buffalo and Western New York Alumni Club, which gave him its Man of the Year Award in 1982.

He was a longtime member of the Niagara Falls YMCA, where he swam daily. He received a Special Service Award from the YMCA in 1989 for his volunteer work. He also spoke several languages fluently.

Survivors include his wife of 56 years, the former Carmella Baccelli; three daughters, Mary Vogt, Nancy and Lisanne; two sisters, Mary Moor and Anita Tavano; a brother, Anthony; and a grandson.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be offered at 10 a.m. Saturday in Holy Family of Jesus, Mary and Joseph Parish at St. Joseph Church, 1413 Pine Ave.

There are no comments - be the first to comment