A mis-tweet from Bieber
Mexico’s president has denied a tweet by Justin Bieber saying the singer met with the president and his family prior to a show.
It was the latest sour note in Bieber’s controversy-filled Latin American tour.
President Enrique Pena Nieto’s office put out a tweet late Monday that read “@Presidenciamx denies meeting between President @EPN with the singer @justinbieber.”
That was a response to a tweet from Bieber’s official account saying “just met some amazing mexican beliebers and the presidente of mexico and his familia.”
The 19-year-old pop sensation faces two criminal complaints and demands for refunds in Argentina, in addition to trouble with police for allegedly spraying graffiti in Brazil.
Trial of Springfield begins
A trial has begun in the lawsuit of an upstate woman who’s suing 1980s pop star Rick Springfield for injuries she says she suffered when he fell on her during a performance at the New York State Fair nearly a decade ago.
The Post-Standard of Syracuse reports that Springfield testified Tuesday in State Supreme Court that he has no recollection of the 2004 show other than the violent weather that had canceled a fair show earlier that day.
The lawsuit filed by 43-year-old Vicki Calcagno of Liverpool claims she suffered a concussion and permanent injuries when Springfield fell into the crowd during his concert at the fairgrounds in late August 2004.
Her lawsuit claims Springfield was negligent by jumping on chairs and benches in the audience during his performance.
Kasem conservatorship denied
A judge has rejected a bid by Casey Kasem’s daughter to establish a conservatorship for the ailing radio personality.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Lesley Green however urged lawyers Tuesday to reach an agreement that would allow three of Kasem’s adult children to visit their father.
Kasem’s children have said they are being blocked from seeing their father by their father’s wife, Jean. Marshall Grossman, an attorney for Jean Kasem, says a proposal for visits by the children has been rejected, but they will work to reach an agreement.
Court records state Kasem is suffering from advanced Parkinson’s disease.
‘Spider-Man’ headed to Vegas
One of the lead producers of Broadway’s “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark” says moving the show to Las Vegas makes sense because Sin City has always been a better fit for the splashy musical than the Great White Way.
“We can have a more exciting and better show in Las Vegas. To me, Las Vegas is the town of show business,” Michael Cohl said Tuesday, a day after announcing the Broadway version would close in January. “If you look at our show, it’s much, much more a spectacle and a Vegas show than a Broadway show. So I think we’re going to have a great time there.”
Cohl said he and producer Jeremiah J. Harris decided to pull the plug on the New York version after the show – among Broadway’s biggest earners for years – sprung a leak this summer and never recovered.