Some Erie County residents who received larger than usual allotments of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) – or “food stamp” – benefits were entitled to the payments, county officials said Monday.
Peter Anderson, a spokesman for County Executive Mark C. Poloncarz, said the payments were the result of a class-action lawsuit.
“From what we understand, so far, the unexpectedly large payments that certain individuals received were authorized by New York State as a result of the Richard C. vs. Berlin lawsuit, which entitles a one-time SNAP benefit for certain individuals,” Anderson said.
The class-action lawsuit covers tens of thousands of residents across the state who were either denied SNAP benefits, or whose benefits were reduced or cut off as a result of an employment sanction that was imposed between Aug. 3, 2009, and Dec. 14, 2012. Benefits are transferred electronically onto recipients’ individual SNAP cards.