North Tonawanda heroin dealer, linked to drug death, gets more prison time - The Buffalo News
print logo

North Tonawanda heroin dealer, linked to drug death, gets more prison time

LOCKPORT – Miguel E. Febres, a North Tonawanda drug dealer who sold heroin while free on bail on charges connected to a user’s death, received another six years in state prison Friday from Niagara County Judge Sara Sheldon Farkas.

That sentence will be added onto the one- to three-year term he is currently serving in Wyoming Correctional Facility for dumping a man’s body in a North Tonawanda park after the victim overdosed on drugs in Febres’ apartment.

Febres also will face two years of post-release supervision.

“It’s so offensive,” Assistant District Attorney Peter M. Wydysh said of Febres’ conduct.

Febres, 34, of Zimmerman Street, had pleaded guilty Aug. 22 to third-degree criminal sale of a controlled substance for a heroin sale Oct. 2, 2012, in North Tonawanda.

That plea wrapped up a 12-count indictment that included four drug deals and the seizure of 16 bags of heroin in a Nov. 1, 2012, raid on Febres’ apartment. The charges carried a maximum of 51 years in prison if Febres had been convicted of all of them.

On Nov. 16, 2012, Farkas sentenced Febres to one to three years in prison for tampering with physical evidence in connection with the heroin overdose death of David C. Brandl, of Lockport, on the night of April 26-27, 2012, in Febres’ apartment.

Febres and two others hauled the 22-year-old’s body to Mayor’s Park about a mile from Febres’ residence. The corpse was found in the park the next morning by a National Grid utility crew.

Assistant Public Defender A. Joseph Catalano said Febres told him that he didn’t think the Brandl case should be held against him in sentencing on the new drug charges. Catalano said he explained to Febres that it would be considered by Farkas.

Paraphrasing Febres’ arguments to him, Catalano told the judge, “This is something that occurs all the time. Drug dealers deal drugs. People O.D.”

Farkas noted that the maximum sentence for the drug sale charge was nine years, so Febres already got a break with a plea bargain that included the prosecution recommending six years.


There are no comments - be the first to comment