March 9, 1926 – Nov. 3, 2013
Harold G. Cameron, of Eggertsville, a retired Army colonel and businessman, died Nov. 3 in Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital, Amherst, after a short illness. He was 87.
Born in Buffalo, he was a 1943 graduate of Seneca Vocational High School and attended the University of Buffalo’s Millard Fillmore College.
Col. Cameron had 41 years of service with the Army Reserve and saw active duty in the Army in World War II and the Vietnam War.
After high school, he did electrical work at Buffalo Forge and was a foreman at Sylvania in the early 1950s. He was an analyst and engineer at the Houdaille Industries plant on East Delavan Avenue from 1954 to 1964, then owned and operated M&V Liquors at Main and Virginia streets for 30 years.
From 1976 to 1986, he was chief of the Office of Administrative Services for the Army Corps of Engineers in Buffalo.
Col. Cameron was a member of Pvt. Leonard Post Jr. Post 6251, Veterans of Foreign Wars; the National Sojourners; the Masons; the Buffalo Yacht Club; the U.S. Power Squadron; and the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary.
The holder of an Amateur Extra Class ham radio license, he served on the board of directors of the Lancaster Amateur Radio Club and led amateur radio volunteer examination teams for several years. He also was a member of the Brandon Amateur Radio Society near his winter home in Valrico, Fla.
Interested in astronomy, timekeeping and clocks, he built several sundials for himself and friends.
His first wife, Phyllis Yendell Cameron, died in 1961. His second marriage, to the former Evelyn Nutter, ended in divorce.
Survivors include a son, Keith; a daughter, Jill Traver; and a sister, Cyndy Scott.
A memorial service will be at 11:30 a.m. Nov. 23 in St. Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church, 81 Burke Drive.