Clarence loses boys soccer regional on last-minute goal - The Buffalo News

Share this article

print logo

Clarence loses boys soccer regional on last-minute goal

Anthony Gaglianese scored on a 14-yard shot with 40 seconds left in regulation to give Fairport of Section V a 1-0 victory over Clarence in the Class AA boys soccer Far West Regional at Eastridge High in Rochester.

“I thought we deserved a better result and we just didn’t get it,” said Clarence coach Mike Silverstein. “They had the advantage in the first half but I though we played them even or better in the second half when we outshot them, 6-2.”

Each side had a goal overturned. An apparent Fairport goal at the end of the first half was ruled to have come just after time expired. Clarence lost an apparent goal by Ryan Funk on a close offside call with 12 minutes left in the game.

Clarence goalkeeper Mike Biedny had four saves.

The Red Devils finished 16-2-1 record. The other loss was to Lancaster and the tie against Brighton of Section V.

Fairport (18-0-2) will move on to face Guilderland-II on Saturday in Middletown. It’s Fairport’s first semifinal since 1998. Clarence defeated Fairport, 1-0, in the 2009 regional.

It was the 10th shutout in its last 11 games for Fairport, which has allowed only five goals all season.

“We knew they’d come out and play a physical game, you know, test us pretty hard,” Fairport senior midfielder Matt Bischoff said of Clarence. “But we didn’t know it’d be this tough.”

Bischoff set up the winning goal with a high ball into the penalty area. Biedny tried to clear it but didn’t and Gaglianese converted the opportunity for his seventh goal of the season.

“We showed a great amount of resiliency because they took it to us,” said Fairport coach Gianni Bussani. “We never panicked.”

“They’re a very good team and we played up to that level,” said Clarence’s Silverstein.

Tanner Pierce and Morgan Brown scored for Livonia (2-0) in a 2-1 victory over Akron in their Class B regional. Dan Sansanese scored for Akron (16-5) with 8:18 to left. It was scoreless until Pierce scored off a rebound with 23:43 to play. Brown tallied with 15½ minutes left

Tom Ferland and Josh McIntosh scored twice each for Williamson-V in a 4-1 Class C victory over I-Prep Grover.

BOYS VOLLEYBALL: Lockport got off to a slow start and lost in straight sets, 25-12, 25-20 and 27-25, to Fairport of Section V in the Class A subregionals.

Meanwhile, Victor-V swept Hamburg, 25-23, 25-22, 25-21, in Class B at Midlakes High in Clifton Springs.

“Our offense wasn’t as potent as usual in the first game. I don’t think it was because we were nervous,” said Lockport coach Joe Whalen. “The boys got into the match in the second game and fought back hard in the third game. If we managed to win that one, I think we could have extended the match to a fifth game.”

Senior defensive ace Eamon Yates had a strong game on the backline for the Lions while Jason Donorovich, a 6-foot-8 junior, had seven kills and 10 blocks.

“Donorovich forced Fairport to adjust how they were attacking and when that happens it’s a compliment to that player,” Whalen said.

GIRLS VOLLEYBALL: St. Mary’s of Lancaster fell to host St. Francis, 25-23, 25-22 and 26-24, in the final match of the state Catholic High School playoffs in Fresh Meadows. The Lancers were 4-2 in pool play, then defeated St. Anthony’s (L.I.), 25-21, 21-25 and 25-20, to advance to the final.

There are no comments - be the first to comment