• Published

ROYALTON – Fire destroyed a two-story home at 4663 Gasport Road Saturday morning, sending one resident to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.

A family friend who had spent the night discovered the fire in the kitchen about 8:13 a.m., Niagara County Sheriff’s deputies said. He tried to use a wet towel to extinguish the fire on a stove, but was unsuccessful, suffering minor burns to both hands, deputies added. He and the two occupants and a family dog fled the house safely.

Ernest Friend Jr., 32, being treated in Eastern Niagara General Hospital for smoke inhallation, deputies said. The Red Cross was assisting the residents.

Crews from the Gasport Chemical Hose and Terry’s Corners companies battled the blaze. The house was declared a total loss. An investigation is under way.

Click here to see the comments. Add yours now!