NIAGARA FALLS – Two men collecting scrap metal at the former Wendt’s Dairy on Buffalo Avenue caused an ammonia leak when they cut a pipe in a storage room in the building at 10:30 a.m. Monday, police said.
The two men, who were tenants of the building, said they cut into a line that began to hiss and secrete a noxious odor. They left, and called police.
Police found the hissing pipe. identified the odor as ammonia and evacuated the building.
The Niagara Falls Fire Department and Niagara County Hazardous Materials team were called to the scene.