All war-time veterans are invited to an extended open house scheduled for early next month at Leonard Post Jr. Post 6251, Veterans of Foreign Wars, 2450 Walden Ave., Cheektowaga.
It begins Nov. 4, with a seminar on benefits, services and programs offered between 5 and 8 p.m. Also scheduled:
• Nov. 5, membership and general information will be available from 4 to 8 p.m.
• Nov. 6, Marlene Roll, a local Gulf War veteran who serves as junior vice commander of the state VFW, will be available from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. to discuss claims for service-related injuries or disabilities.
• Nov. 7, Erie County Clerk Chris Jacobs will be on hand from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. to help vets sign up for the county’s “Thank-A-Vet” discount card that can be used at participating local businesses.
• Nov. 8, a fish fry will be held from 3 to 8 p.m.; membership information also will be available.
• Nov. 9, the lounge will be open from 6 to 8 p.m.
• Nov. 11, a Veterans Day memorial service begins at 11 a.m.
Veterans must bring their original discharge papers [DD Form 214] to obtain benefits and services.
The post also is recruiting for a men’s auxiliary, with membership open to veterans and their relatives. For more information, call 684-4371 between 9 a.m. and 1:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Also this week:
• A public hearing on the tentative 2014 town budget begins at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday in Council Chambers in Town Hall, 3301 Broadway.
• A Town Board work session is scheduled for 6 p.m. Tuesday in the Council Office conference room in Town Hall.
• A Services for Seniors Fair will be held from 9:30 a.m. to noon Saturday in the Cheektowaga Senior Center, 3349 Broadway. Hosted by Assemblyman Dennis H. Gabryszak, D-Cheektowaga, information will be available from companies and organizations about services related to home improvement, health care and landscaping, among other things.
• The Town Board meets at 6:45 p.m. Monday, Nov. 4, in Council Chambers in Town Hall.
• A work session of the Cheektowaga-Sloan School Board begins at 6:30 p.m. Monday, Nov. 4, in the Irma Czubaj Board Room at Woodrow Wilson Elementary School, 166 Halstead Ave., Sloan.
• A meeting of the Cleveland Hill School Board begins at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 6, in the community room at 105 Mapleview Road.
• Naturalist intern Ben Carpenter will host “Axe in Hand: An introductory discussion of Land Ethic,” at 1 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 9., at Reinstein Woods Nature Preserve, 93 Honorine Drive, off Como Park Boulevard. The program is free, but registration is required; call 683-5959.