High School Extra: Super Monday soccer is super - The Buffalo News
print logo

High School Extra: Super Monday soccer is super

Super Monday soccer is super

The Fifth Super Monday lived up to its name as four boys soccer games on the two fields at Nichols served as a showcase of Western New York talent.

St. Joe’s 2, Williamsville East 1 (OT): Marcus D’Aguair scored five minutes into the first OT as the Marauders knocked off the No. 1 ranked team not only in WNY, but in New York State’s Class A poll. After a scoreless first half, Connor Scherer scored for St. Joe’s about 20 minutes into the second. East tied it with five minutes left on a free kick by Vicrum Goel. St. Joe’s gave up six shots as it improved to 5-6-1, with five losses by one goal.

• Akron 2, Canisius 0: After a scoreless first half, the game opened up in the second half. A misplayed ball by two Canisius defenders led to the first goal by Randy Mayer.

Akron is WNY’s No. 1 small school while Canisius is the No. 4 large.

Akron added to its lead when Chris Mayrose scored on a set play from an indirect kick. Canisius put pressure on Akron in the final 10 minutes but goalie Austin Medole did not break.

• St. Francis 2, Orchard Park 1 (OT): Senior captain Aaron Hayes scored at the 7-minute mark of overtime. Sam Eggleston assisted on Hayes’ goal when he drew two Quakers defenders to him just outside the box, and then gave the ball to Hayes, who was making a run behind him.

OP was pressing hard to scored when St. Francis gained possession and moved quickly out of its own end. The Quakers communicated well down the field and ended up breaking in on the goalie.

Orchard Park scored first on a goal by junior Noah Kohl. St. Francis’ Michael Dhliwayo evened the score 1:30 into the second half on a feed from Hayes. St. Francis put 14 shots on goal. Red Raiders goalie Matt Gabalski turned back seven shots.

• East Aurora 2, Nichols 0: Sean Kishel set up both goals for EA (12-10). Five minutes in he slid a through ball to Kyle Kleckner who found the far post. In the second half, he dribbled down the left wing, beat the defender and played a ball back to Noah Thompson. Pat Shea earned the shutout.

There are no comments - be the first to comment