From the Friday Night Lights to Saturday afternoon homecoming games, BuffaloNews.com is the place to keep track of all of Western New York’s football action every weekend.
Review our #PrepTalkLive coverage from several of this weekend’s contests.
Check out video reports from the huge win by Cheektowaga Saturday – including video of Preston Summers’ 65-yard, final-minute punt return for a touchdown as well as interviews with Summers, junior Marshawn Gibson and coach Mike Fatta.
There are also video reports from Friday night wins by McKinley, Frontier and West Seneca East, along with photo galleries as well as live blogs which document how the action transpired. Our high school scoreboard page also has additional details from several games.
• Jamestown clinched the Class AA title by continuing its streak of scoring at least 50 points in every game with a 52-8 home win over Clarence Friday night.
• McKinley won the Class A Central championship with a 20-14 victory Friday night at Williamsville South.
• Sweet Home won the Class A North title and won its 66th straight game against Section VI teams by winning at Kenmore East, 34-6.
• South Park, which clinched the Class A South title last week, finished its division schedule at 5-0 with an 18-13 win at Hamburg.
• Cheektowaga clinched the Class B North title – its sixth division title in the last nine years – with a 12-8 win over Burgard.
• Alden clinched the Class B South title in dramatic fashion (again) as it won at Olean, 29-20. The Bulldogs have come from behind in four of its six wins.
• Junior running back Rodney Turner set the Depew record for touchdowns in a game with five, four of which came in the first half, as the Wildcats beat Eden, 45-16, Friday night. Turner ran for 198 yards on 21 carries as Depew clinched a Class B North playoff spot.
• Defending Section VI Class C champion Cleveland Hill clinched the Class C North title with a 48-6 win at Tonawanda.
• Fredonia, which lost to Cleve Hill in last year’s C final, wrapped up a 5-0 title season in C South with a 37-3 Friday win over Gowanda.
How they fared
1) Jamestown (6-0) beat Clarence, 52-8. Next week: at Orchard Park.
2) Canisius (5-1) beat Bishop Timon-St. Jude, 24-0. Next week: at Cardinal Mooney (Ohio).
3) St. Joe’s (4-2) lost to Cathedral Prep (Pa.), 56-7. Next week: at St. Mary’s.
4) Sweet Home (6-0) beat Kenmore East, 34-6. Next week: vs. McKinley.
5) South Park (5-1) beat Hamburg, 18-13. Next week: vs. Cardinal O’Hara.
6) Orchard Park (5-1) beat Niagara Falls, 34-6. Next week: vs. Jamestown.
7) Frontier (5-1) beat Lancaster, 31-0. Next week: vs. Hamburg.
8) McKinley (6-0) beat Williamsville South, 20-14. Next week: at Sweet Home.
9) West Seneca East (5-1) beat West Seneca West, 20-0. Next week: vs. Hutch-Tech.
10) Williamsville South (4-2) lost to McKinley, 20-14. Next week: at Bishop Timon-St. Jude.
1) Alden (6-0) beat Olean. 29-20. Next week: vs. East Aurora.
2) Randolph (6-0) beat Cassadaga Valley, 49-14. Next week: vs. Portville.
3) Burgard (5-1) lost to Cheektowaga, 12-8. Next week: at East.
4) Cleveland Hill (6-0) beat Tonawanda, 48-6. Next week: vs. JFK.
5) Cheektowaga (5-1) beat Burgard, 12-8. Next week: at Maryvale.
6) Fredonia (6-0) beat Gowanda, 37-3. Next week: at Dunkirk.
7) Depew (5-1) beat Eden, 45-16. Next week: vs. Lancaster.
8) St. Mary’s (5-1) beat Hutch-Tech, 20-16. Next week: vs. St. Joe’s.
9) Salamanca (5-1) beat Allegany-Limestone, 27-7. Next week: at Gowanda.
10) Maple Grove/Chautauqua Lake (5-1) beat Ellicottville/West Valley, 14-6. Next week: at Clymer.
[BN] the know every week during the high school football season with PrepTalkTV’s live, half-hour show each Thursday at 7:30 p.m. Keith McShea will bring you interviews, analysis and features that you can find only at buffalonews.com.
A game-by-game look ahead to next weekend (Oct. 18-19) and Week Seven, the final week of the Section VI regular season:
• Friday’s lineup is highlighted, as always, by two major rivalry games as Tonawanda visits North Tonawanda at 6 p.m. while Lancaster visits Depew at 7:30.
• There are 16 league contests on the Friday schedule that will help finalize the playoff picture, including the major matchup of No. 1 large school Jamestown at Orchard Park at 7 p.m.
• Also on the Friday schedule are key nonleaguers as Williamsville South travels to Bishop Timon-St. Jude in a fine public-private matchup, while Canisius is at Cardinal Mooney of Youngstown, Ohio.
• On Saturday, five games complete the Section VI regular season, including West Seneca West at Lockport in Class AA.
• Saturday’s big rivalry game is Kenmore East at Kenmore West at 2 p.m., concluding a year in which both Ken-Ton teams have had success.
• A very intriguing Class A nonleaguer between division champions McKinley at Sweet Home at 2 p.m. Saturday.