• Published

A grease fire Sunday evening in an apartment building at Hilbert College drew firefighters from five Hamburg fire departments, but the building’s sprinkler system extinguished the flames before their arrival, town police reported.

Firefighters from the Big Tree Volunteer Fire Company were dispatched at 6:56 p.m. to the school’s Leo House, police said. Firefighters from Armor, Lake Shore, Scranton and Woodlawn Volunteer Fire Companies also responded, police said.

One occupant of the apartment was treated at the scene for minor burns. The 17 occupants of the building’s four apartments were housed in a hotel Sunday night while water from the sprinklers was cleaned up, according to a school spokesman.

Click here to see the comments. Add yours now!