Visitors from 38 states, Washington, D.C., and nine countries have searched for trilobites, brachiopods, corals and fossil fish and plant remains this year at the Penn Dixie Paleontological and Outdoor Education Center, 4050 North St.
Special programming continues with a fossil-astronomy program from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 8. Viewing sun spots and solar flares through a filtered telescope will start at 1 p.m., and experts will identify fossils rocks and minerals found by visitors.
The center also will sponsor its 21st annual nature cruise and Buffalo Lighthouse tour at 9 a.m. Sept. 14. The three-hour cruise will view the Buffalo Harbor, Lake Erie, Niagara River and the Black Rock Canal. Tour guides will discuss the local geology, including the formation of the Great Lakes and Niagara River. After completion of the cruise, there will be a tour of the Buffalo Lighthouse, courtesy of the Buffalo Lighthouse Association.
To register, contact Penn Dixie at 627-4560, or visit its website, www.penndixie.org.
Also this week:
• The town Zoning Board of Appeals will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Room 7B in Town Hall, 6100 South Park Ave.
• The Hamburg Village Board will hold a work session at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday followed by a regular meeting at 7 p.m. in Village Hall, 100 Main St.
• The Frontier School Board meets in an executive session at 6 p.m. Tuesday, followed by a regular business meeting at 7 p.m. in the board room of the Frontier Educational Center, 5120 Orchard Ave., Hamburg.
• Immaculata Academy will celebrate its 85th anniversary school year with a mass said by Bishop Richard J. Malone at 1 p.m. Wednesday. A reception will be held in the school library following the mass.
• The Blasdell Farmers Market runs from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday in the parking lot of Ilio DiPaolo’s Restaurant, 3785 South Park Ave.
• The town Planning Board will conduct a work session at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday followed by a regular meeting at 7 p.m. in Room 7B in Town Hall.
• The Blasdell Village Board will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday in Village Hall, 121 Miriam Ave.
• The Hamburg Village Recreation Commission will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Youth Center, 200 Prospect Ave.
• The Hamburg Village Zoning Board of Appeals will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday in Village Hall.
• The Hamburg Farmer’s market is open from 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday in the municipal parking lot between Main and Union streets.
• This year, Sts. Peter & Paul Catholic School is teaming up with Just for Kids, a non-profit organization based in Williamsville, to run an after school program that incorporates academic enrichment activities to help improve reading, writing, math and problem solving skills as well as helping children develop positive behaviors and attitudes. Registration is open and is being taken online at www.justforkidsonline.org.