• Published

Carelessly discarded ashes from a fire pit triggered a fire about 3:20 p.m. that caused $325,000 damage to a home at 36 Chapel Woods in East Amherst, authorities said.

Amherst Fire Control said Kathleen Lukowski, identified as the owner of the house, alerted authorities initially that a garbage tote next to the house was burning; however, a subsequent call reported a propane tank exploding and spreading the fire to the garage and house.

The East Amherst Fire Department brought the fire under control by 3:45 p.m. Damage to the house was listed at $250,000 and $75,000 to contents.

Click here to see the comments. Add yours now!