Dear Abby: Get legal help to kick out deadbeat dad - The Buffalo News

Share this article

print logo

Dear Abby: Get legal help to kick out deadbeat dad

Dear Abby: My 22-year-old daughter and her two young children live with me. She doesn’t work, which is fine. I don’t mind supporting her because I’d rather have the kids see their mom. I spent most of my life as a single mom, working long hours and not seeing my kids. My work has finally paid off, and I’m at a point where, while not rich, I can support my daughter and grandbabies.

The problem is the baby daddy. He has a history of drug abuse, theft and jail time. He works only part-time jobs, which he loses monthly. I don’t want to support him, but he has moved in and won’t leave my house. I have told him to go, but he ignores me. He won’t even acknowledge that I told him to leave.

I can’t take it anymore. I pay all the bills. I told my daughter, and she ignores me as well. My oldest son has offered to talk to them for me. I don’t want to lose my grandbabies. They are my purpose in life. Please help.

– Furious in Pennsylvania

Dear Furious: Part of your problem may be the degree to which you enable your daughter. You won’t be around forever. She needs to learn to be independent so she can support herself and those children.

Clearly, Baby Daddy isn’t man enough to be of any assistance. If he has lived with you for a while, you may need a lawyer to get him out. According to Los Angeles attorney Lee Dresie: “You can get rid of the freeloader by giving him a 30-day ‘notice to leave’ in writing. It should say, ‘You have 30 days to leave my home. If you don’t, I will bring an action to evict you.’ If he still refuses to go, consult an attorney who specializes in eviction law.”

Be sure you have a witness present when the notice is given so Baby Daddy can’t deny receiving it.

It is also troubling that your daughter is ignoring you. You’re treated this way because you don’t assert yourself. Please do it before Baby Daddy impregnates her again and you have four people to support.

Help for excessive sweating

Dear Abby: I’m 27 and have an issue that has bothered me for most of my life. I have overly hot/sweaty hands and feet. When I was dating women, they wouldn’t want to hold my hand, which bothered me a lot.

I am entering a profession that will require lots of handshaking with potential clients. Do you have any suggestions?

– Sweaty in North Dakota

Dear Sweaty: Yes! There is help for your problem, and the way to get it is to talk with a dermatologist. There is a product that can curb the excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis), but a doctor must prescribe it for you. Botox injections could also help, but they should be administered by a physician. There is also a machine that can be used to treat this condition.

There are no comments - be the first to comment