STAFFORD – The Stafford Country Club, Genesee County's first and, for years, only 18-hole golf course, will celebrate its 90th birthday Saturday with a gala in the historic 1921 clubhouse.
The golf course opened in June, 1922 after a year's construction on 150 acres of farmland.
Saturday, club President Lyle B. Starkweather will drive a ball off the first tee, as did the club's first president and financial backer, Ernest L. Woodward, 90 years ago.
Woodward, heir to the Jell-O dessert fortune, and Everest A. Judd, a Batavia attorney, were the forces behind a private club for Batavia and Le?Roy golfers.
Saturday is also the 90th anniversary of the club's first gala ball, which attracted 400 members and guests. State police will be on hand to handle traffic in this usually quiet hamlet.
Walter J. Travis, a noted golf course architect, designed the layout, with nine holes opening in 1922 and another nine four years later. The clubhouse, still in use today, was constructed with aviation fir wood from Curtiss Brothers (later Curtiss-Wright) in Buffalo. The first golf pro – Earl Wilbur Nagell – was an assistant pro at the Niagara Falls Country Club.