Share this article

print logo


Two officers placed on leave after shooting of teen

Ferry-Fillmore District Officers Jason R.Whitenight and Karl B. Schultz, who shot and wounded a teenager early Sunday, have been
placed on standard administrative leave.

The officers drew their weapons and shot at Wilson Morales, 17, of French Street, as he attempted to back a car into them, following a high-speed East Side car chase, authorities said.

Morales remained in serious condition at Erie County Medical Center late Monday.

While on administrative leave, the officers' actions are being investigated by both the police department's homicide bureau and internal affairs unit, which is a routine procedure after a police shooting.

Police officials say that once those findings are compiled, they will be forwarded to Erie County District Attorney Frank A. Sedita III.

The district attorney usually presents the findings to the grand jury, but he does not have to if he feels the shooting was justified.

The shooting occurred after 2:40 a.m. in the 300 block of French, after the officers had spotted Morales driving a 2000 Dodge
without lights.

Morales was charged with assault and unlawful fleeing of a police officer.

Whitenight and Schultz were uninjured.

Buffalo Police Benevolent Association attorney Thomas H. Burton has said the shooting was justified.

"What happened will probably turn out to be an example of teenage recklessness, but that does not change the perceptions the officers had when this vehicle careened toward them in the dead of night," Burton said.


Sinclairville man charged with driving while drunk

State Police at Fredonia have charged a Sinclairville man with felony driving while intoxicated after they accused him of driving his vehicle off the road and into a tree Sunday.

Richard A. Banach, 54, was arrested after his vehicle went off Straight Road in the Town of Sheridan, according to police reports.

Troopers said he was found to be intoxicated, and a chemical test later revealed a blood-alcohol content of 0.13 percent.

State Police charged Banach with felony DWI because of a prior drunken-driving conviction within the last 10 years.

He also was charged with moving unsafely from a lane and driving on a conditional license. Police did not indicate what time the crash


Couple arrested, charged with drug trafficking

JAMESTOWN– A man and woman are being held on drug trafficking charges following the seizure of cocaine valued at more
than $15,000, marijuana, prescription drugs and more than $18,000 in cash at their James Avenue house early Monday.

Keith L. Carlson, 54, and Julie A. Carlson, 50, of 413 James Ave., were each charged with second-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, third-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance and criminal possession of marijuana, city police said.

Both are being held in the Chautauqua County Jail after arraignment in City Court.

The raid at 7:30 a.m. was triggered by an anonymous tip, police said.


Prescription drug probe snares Medina man

MEDINA – A Medina man was charged late last week with the possession and sale of prescription morphine and hydrocodone pills
following a five-month investigation by the Orleans CountyMajor Felony Crime Task Force and Medina Police Department.

Scott F. Davis, 54, was arrested at his Orient Street home Friday and charged with three counts of third-degree criminal sale and
criminal possession of a controlled substance, two counts of fourth degree criminal possession, one count of fourth-degree criminal
sale and one count of fifth-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance.

He was arraigned before Albion Town Justice Gary Moore and sent to Orleans County Jail in lieu of $25,000 cash bail or $50,000 bond. A return court date is scheduled for Thursday.


Falling foam injures passer-by of Statler City

A woman walking past Statler City in downtown Buffalo on Monday morning was struck by a small piece of foam debris that fell from the roof of the former hotel, authorities said.

The incident occurred at 10:19 a.m. on Delaware Avenue, and the woman, who suffered a head injury, was transported to an area hospital to be examined, according to city fire officials.

The foam, firefighters said, came from construction work on the roof of the structure.