Share this article

print logo

Man denies sex crimes dating back 16 years

New York's liberalized statute of limitations on sex crimes made possible the prosecution of an Amherst man, who was arraigned Friday on charges involving two girls that date back almost 16 years.

Paul S. Turley, 47, of North Bailey Avenue, pleaded not guilty in Niagara County Court to first- and second-degree course of sexual conduct against a child and first- and second-degree sexual abuse.

If convicted as charged, Turley faces a maximum 39-year prison sentence. Judge Sara Sheldon Farkas kept him free on a $50,000 bail bond.

Assistant District Attorney Elizabeth R. Donatello said the alleged victims are now adults, one of them age 23.

Turley is accused of molesting both of the girls in North Tonawanda between August 1996 and June 1998.

Assistant District Attorney Robert A. Zucco said one of the girls, the one who was the subject of the second-degree course charge, allegedly was molested again on Christmas Day 2003, leading to the sexual abuse counts.

State law defines a course of sexual conduct as a set of at least two sex acts with the same person under age 11 during a period of more than three months.

In 2006, the state abolished the normal five-year felony statute of limitations for many sex crimes. There is no statute of limitations for first-degree course of sexual conduct against a child.

Also, the five-year clock on sex offenses against children now starts running when the victim turns 18.

In another sex case, County Judge Matthew J. Murphy III sentenced a Niagara Falls man to four years in prison and 10 years of post-release supervision for violating probation on a statutory rape charge.

Roy Davenport, 27, of Pierce Avenue, set up Facebook and email accounts without permission and moved without registering his change of address with the state, Donatello said.

Davenport, who had sex with a 14-year-old Lockport girl last year, is a Level 2 sex offender.

Farkas imposed a 15-month county jail term on Mylen N. Daugherty Jr., another Level 2 sex offender who violated probation.

Daugherty, 48, of North Branch Road, Cuba, had been living in Niagara Falls when he pleaded guilty to two misdemeanors for abusing two women in that city in 2009.

In State Supreme Court on Friday, Justice Richard C. Kloch Sr. imposed a 2-to-4-year prison term on a man who wrote threatening letters to his ex-wife from jail.

Michael J. Bentley, 53, formerly of Ward Road, Wheatfield, will serve the sentence concurrently with a seven-year term he received in 2007 for burglarizing the woman's home and stabbing his brother. However, it scrubs the prison system's plan to consider him for parole in November.

email: tprohaska@buffnews.com