Jailed American might be moved
HAVANA (AP) -- Cuba lashed back Friday at what it called a campaign of distortions over the health of an imprisoned American contractor, and hinted at retaliation that could include moving the 63-year-old man out of the military hospital where he is being held and putting him in a regular prison.
The statement sent by Cuba's Foreign Ministry marked an escalation of a dispute that has been simmering for 2 1/2 years and that has torpedoed any hope of improved ties between the Cold War enemies. Maryland-native Alan Gross is serving a 15-year term for bringing satellite and other communications equipment into Cuba illegally while on a USAID-funded democracy-building program.
Gross' attorney, Peter J. Kahn, told the Associated Press earlier this week that his client was having difficulty walking and has developed a mass behind his right shoulder blade, and he accused the Cuban government of withholding the results of medical tests performed last month.
Three guards killed in campus shooting
EDMONTON, Alberta -- An early morning shooting left three armed guards dead and one in critical condition at a university campus in western Canada after an apparent robbery of an armored truck, police said Friday.
Police are looking for a fifth employee of the security company, Edmonton Police Chief Rod Knecht said. The armored truck, abandoned but running, was found not far from the security company's offices.
The police chief said Travis Baumgartner, 21, an employee of G4S Cash Services, is a person of interest. Knecht said authorities in the United States have been notified as well.
Police said no University of Alberta students were involved. The university was quickly put on lockdown, but that was later lifted.
'Forest boy' comes clean
BERLIN (AP) -- The forest boy mystery is solved: It's not true.
Berlin police said Friday that an English-speaking teenage boy allegedly called Ray, who wandered into the city nine months ago saying he had been living in the forest for the last five years, has been spinning a yarn.
After publishing his picture earlier this week, police said a former girlfriend identified him as a 20-year-old from the Netherlands who was reported missing in September.
Netherlands state broadcaster NOS said his name was Robin van Helsum.
A German security official said he was "a 20-year-old man from Hengelo" -- near the German border. When confronted with the facts, police say van Helsum admitted the truth.
Van Helsum showed up Sept. 5 in Berlin claiming that his mother had died in a car crash when he was 12 and that he and his father had been living in the forest outside the German capital.