Share this article

print logo

A hundred years later, ax murder still divides Iowa town

It's been a century since Josiah and Sarah Moore, their four children and two visiting children were hacked to death with an ax while they slept, and the tiny town where they lived in Iowa has never been the same.

What remains the state's worst mass murder divided the community in 1912 between those who suspected a prominent businessman and others who blamed a traveling preacher or thought it was someone else going through the area. The case was never solved, and in some ways, the mystery still haunts Villisca.

The 100th anniversary of the killings, the multiyear investigation and the uproar they caused will not be officially remembered there, but in Red Oak, a larger city about 25 miles away. That's partly for convenience, but residents say there's also reluctance in Villisca to delve into the killings.

Many are bothered by the tourists and ghost hunters who come to the two-story white frame building dubbed the Villisca Ax Murder House for tours or even to stay overnight.

"I would like it to be over," said Susie Enarson, a former mayor of the town of 1,200 about 80 miles southwest of Des Moines.

The killings happened in the early morning hours of June 10, 1912. The Moores and their four young children, Herman, Katherine, Boyd and Paul, as well as two of the children's friends, the sisters Lena and Ina Stillinger, had returned from an evening church service at which children in the community read Bible verses. It's believed all were asleep when someone entered the house, killed the parents first with repeated ax blows to their heads and then killed the children, each with one massive blow.

The children ranged in age from 5 to 12.

"It's undoubtedly the worst crime that took place in the state," said David McFarland, director of the Montgomery County History Center. But the crime may have been largely forgotten if not for an incompetent investigation that divided residents and created an uproar.

Local police allowed residents to traipse through the house for hours while the blood-stained bodies were still in the beds.

More than a year after the crime, state authorities hired a private detective to investigate the killings, and for a month he posed as a real estate developer to secretly follow leads. The detective, James Wilkerson, accused a prominent local businessman who served as a state senator of hiring a hit man because he believed Josiah Moore was having an affair with his daughter-in-law, but the investigator's theories were later largely discredited.

A traveling pastor, George Kelly, confessed to the crime but then withdrew his admission and was acquitted.

The case was followed closely in Iowa and throughout the country, and the haphazard police work helped prompt officials to create the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation.

For some residents of Villisca, the controversy was reopened in the 1990s, when Darwin and Martha Linn bought the house, which for decades had been used as a rental.

The Linns restored the building to its 1912 appearance, tearing off siding, removing an enclosed porch and repainting the house. They then opened it for tours, and the house gained a national reputation among people who believe in paranormal activities.

Tours during the day cost $10 for adults, and for $400 groups can rent the home for the night. Martha Linn said the house is booked nearly every night through the summer.

Visitors bring their own sleeping bags and pillows. "I'm not a bed-and-breakfast," Linn said.