Betty M. Whistler, who was active for many years in yacht racing and cruising on the Great Lakes, died Wednesday at her home at the Weinberg Campus in Getzville.
She celebrated her 90th birthday with a family party last month at the Buffalo Yacht Club. Among her survivors are 110 direct descendants, including 13 children.
A native of Buffalo, the former Betty Mueller was a graduate of Mount St. Joseph Academy and attended D'Youville College.
Mrs. Whistler and her husband, the late Lawrence V. Whistler Jr., were life members of the Bishop's Council of the Laity for the Catholic Diocese of Buffalo. She also was a Lady of the Holy Sepulcher.
She was a former officer and director of S.B. Whistler & Sons Inc., the family's manufacturing business now in its 95th year, started by her husband's grandfather.
Mrs. Whistler was a former member of the Mothers Clubs of Canisius High School, Holy Angels Academy, Cardinal
O'Hara High School and St. Joseph's Collegiate Institute.
She also was a member of the Neumann Guild of St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in the Town of Tonawanda.
She was a former Rotary Ann of the Kenmore Rotary Club and participated for many years in women's activities at the old Buffalo Athletic Club.
She and her husband were former active members of the Buffalo Club, Buffalo Yacht Club, Cherry Hill Club in Ridgeway, Ont., and El Conquistador Country Club of Bradenton, Fla.
She was a life member, former first lady and head of women's activities at the Buffalo Canoe Club in Ridgeway, Ont.
Mrs. Whistler and her entire family were active boaters. The Whistlers were named "Boating Family of the Year" in 1959 by the Buffalo Courier-Express.
Survivors include seven sons, Lawrence V. III, Harold, Arthur II, John F., Richard J., Thomas P. and James A.; six daughters, Mary Carol Starck, Marilyn G. Malo, Mary Ellen Maggiotto, Mary Beth Maloney, Mary Susan Robbins and Mary Patricia Andrews; and a sister, Gloria Magee.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be offered at 9:30 a.m. Saturday in St. John the Baptist Church, 1085 Englewood Ave., Town of Tonawanda.